Upcoming . . .

Loading...

Open House- Hector St Complete Street Project

City of Ithaca staff and consulting engineers will host a public open house style meeting for The Hector Street Complete Street Project on Monday, May 7, 2018 from 4pm to 6pm in the cafeteria of Lehman Alternative Community School at 402 Chestnut St, Ithaca, NY. The open house will showcase the current draft proposals for the corridor that were developed based on the City’s grant application, which was awarded by the NYS DOT in June 2017.  Erdman Anthony, consultant engineers, are currently working on an updated plan that will be presented at the public meeting.

The study area covers the portion of Hector Street (also known as Route 79), from Floral Avenue (Rt 13A) to 500 feet past the City/Town boundary line. Improvements to pedestrian conditions intend to connect to an existing path at Linderman Creek Apartments. The proposed goals are to extend the current sidewalk along the street, to enhance conditions for bicyclists, and to add 2 bus shelters along the corridor.

In addition, The City of Ithaca Engineering Office is soliciting public comment on the draft design report which is posted in the link below. Written comments can be submitted to Johnathan Licitra at JLicitra@cityofithaca.org, hand delivered, or mailed to the Engineering Office in City Hall, 108 East Green Street. Comments will be accepted until May 30, 2018.

Hector Street Complete Street Project

The City of Ithaca has received $1,400,000 in federal funding assistance for a $1,700,000 project to enhance pedestrian, bicycling, and bus conditions and to improve safety along Hector Street (Rt. 79) between Floral Avenue and 500 feet past the City line towards Linderman Creek Apartments.  Key goals of this project include:

  1. Connect to the existing Hector Street sidewalk and constructing 4,100 linear feet of new sidewalk
  2. Create an uphill bike lane along Hector Street
  3. Establish 2 enhanced bus stops at Warren Place and North Taylor Place
  4. Enhance walking and bicycling conditions throughout the corridor—including across municipal boundaries via a cost-sharing agreement with the Town of Ithaca
  5. Improve traffic safety in the vicinity via select infrastructure investments in curbing, stormwater pipes, retaining walls, and street lighting

These funds were made available from the Federal Highway Administration’s Transportation Alternatives Program and are administered by the New York State Department of Transportation. The funds cover 80 percent of the cost of each project, with the remaining 20 percent coming from the project sponsor. Final engineering is scheduled for 2018 and construction is scheduled for Winter and Spring 2019.

Hector Street Complete Street Project Draft Scoping Report / Final Design Report

For more information, contact Johnathan Licitra, Sidewalk Program Manager, 274-6534.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>