[IW] Trebloc Survey Response

Cynthia Brock cynthia.ny8 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 12:40:20 CDT 2015

Recent statements have been made both at community meetings and through the
First Ward list serves that increases in building height for the downtown
area had been done without informing residents or encouraging public input.​

​As your representative and one who strives to ​promote public engagement
and input, I was concerned that I had failed in my duties to you.  It is
not easy to keep on top of all the activities going on in the City, but it
is important to do what we can to educate and inform our residents of
upcoming events so that we can receive and consider all viewpoints.

To this end, please see below the email I sent on March 20th, 2013 under
the subject heading: Proposed zoning changes: increase in height allowances
in Commons and W State, removal of MPRs citywide, and form-based code for
Collegetown.  As far as I have been able to find, I do not believe any
comments were shared with me in response to my post.

I have followed the Trebloc discussion that George initiated with great
interest, and some dismay, as I feel that there is not much that can be
done at this point to require the proposed development to be scaled down in
size.  I understand there are differing opinions on this, but if the
proposed project is consistent with zoning, then the developer can build
out to those limits as a matter of right.

I supported the change in zoning in 2013 with the position that given the
high demand for student housing, new student housing would be the bulk of
the development pressure.  It is my position that high density housing is
most appropriately located in the downtown core, and not on South Aurora
(where I feared it would go), South Hill or West Hill (or other
single-family neighborhoods).  The Marriott Hotel had already been approved
at 120', and allowing an equal building height at the tuning fork was
consistent with existing construction.  Regretfully, we/I did not have the
foresight at the time to imagine that the Trebloc location would receive a
proposal that would so fully fill the space with such a massive structure
as we have seen.  This, I deeply regret.

Cynthia

"Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be
counted, counts."  - William Bruce Cameron
Cynthia Brock
cynthia.ny8 at gmail.com <cynthia.ny at earthlink.net>